Young people in America need to know more about real poverty, and this video is possibly the best I have ever seen at getting kids to relate to abject poverty. It’s entertaining and educational. They pack a lot of information and experiences into just 28 minutes. Plus, it’s appropriate for kids age 11 and up, since there are no deeply disturbing images.
Discussion Questions for Kids
1. How would you describe these men and their lifestyle in America?
2. Why do you think they decided to set such strict rules for their time in Haiti?
3. Does this sort of adventure appeal to you in any way? In what ways?
4. What would worry you the most about living in a tent in Haiti for a month?
5. How tolerant are you of being hungry and eating only simple foods like rice and beans?
6. What is the longest you have ever been hungry? Describe that time.
7. Describe the most grueling physical work you have ever done. What was it? How long did you work? Did you get paid (or fed or anything) for your work?
8. What part of this 28 day experience do you find most intimidating or terrifying? Explain why.