Lately, I have been pondering the question, “What are some things that I can do to put myself in a better position to be more happy?”
The following is an outline summary of the things that seem to work for most people. It comes from a variety of sources and is not specific to any religion. It is not a formula for happiness. It is simply a set of good practices to get positioned for some more happiness.
- Command Your Body – Be the benevolent dictator of your body. Don’t give in to its desires. Guide it toward optimal health.
- Sleep regularly
- Eat a balanced diet
- Drink a lot of water
- Exercise regularly
- Stretch often
- Breathe deeply
- Feed Your Soul – Counter the noisy, busy, competitive culture. Refuse to be too busy. Make space for joy.
- Meditation / Prayer
- Sabbath from work
- Enjoyable activity
- Stimulate Your Mind – Keep growing mentally. Exercise and feed your brain with new input.
- Read for pleasure
- Read for learning / wisdom
- Learn new skills
- Converse with interesting people
- Connect with People – Take time to build honest, meaningful relationships. Give and take within your social circles. Avoid toxic people as much as possible.
- Family intimacy
- Friends who bring out your best
- Colleagues and neighbors
- Community (religious, municipal, social…)
When we practice these things — and not all of them are needed at all times — we are more likely to be more happy more often. And when we practice these things, we become a role model for our children, and they will follow in our healthy, happy footsteps. It might be the most important part of raising healthy, happy kids.